Writing:

I was not taught about the writing process at all until I got into an international high school in China. However, teachers in that international school only listed the various steps of the writing process and they did not elaborate much on those. Therefore, I was really excited to learn more about it in EDLL 3200. I did not know that brainstorming can be taught. I really like the idea of “try closing your eyes/use the tv screen in your mind”. I think that this method will allow students to develop their imagination and help them think of ideas quickly in a free way. “Use your senses” is another good strategy to teach students about brainstorming. I believe that students will be able to come up with ideas much easier with the aid of sight, hearing, smell, taste and touch. I think that brainstorming is a very important step in the writing process and it is the first thing students need to do before they head to next stages. Therefore, I will emphasize the importance of brainstorming for my future students and incorporate multiple strategies to help them brainstorm. Drafting is also very important for writing because it will allow students to get their ideas on paper which they can share with their peers and teachers for some feedback. By writing a draft, they can also organize their ideas in a more structured way which will be very helpful for their final writing product. For me, the 5 point scale rubric is an effective way to let students know what they should achieve in their writing before beginning to write and where they need to improve upon after receiving their mark for each assignment. Moreover, I believe that the more you read, the more you will be able to write. Thus, I will encourage my students to read as much as they can.